Our vision, mission and values
Image: Untitled, Micha Serraf, South Africa (2018)
Better health and equal opportunities for all people of all genders, everywhere
Global Health 50/50 is an independent research initiative that informs, inspires and incites action and accountability for gender equality and health equity.
We fulfill our mission by:
- Informing global discourse with the world’s most rigorous and extensive index on the state of gender equality in global organisations active in health and health policy
- Inspiring a vision of a new normal for gender equality in global health
- Inciting a movement to demand and deliver the policies that will lead to gender equality in the workplace and in global health programmes
- Equity, fairness and justice
- Inclusiveness and diversity
- Transparency and accountability
- Excellence driven by rigorous research, evidence and peer-review
- ‘Glocal’ collaboration and partnerships for lasting impact for those who need it most, everywhere
- Solidarity, capacity strengthening and knowledge sharing
- Independence and courage to speak truth to power
Our guiding principles
GH5050’s mission and work are rights-based and grounded in our commitment to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the associated Treaties and Covenants as well as the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- We strive for diverse representation on our Advisory Council and balance in terms of expertise, gender and geography.
- We strive to ensure opportunities for our collective members to give their best and grow professionally, to ensure that they do not face discrimination in their engagement with the collective and, subject to the terms of their contracts, to enjoy freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining, to flexible working arrangements, a dignified workplace free of abuse of power and with zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- We will strive to ensure gender equity in global health and do so in partnership with others who share our vision.
- We undertake to be open, honest and accountable in our relationships with everyone we work with, and with each other and seek, through dialogue, to advance gender equality.
- We will be democratic, politically non-partisan and non-sectarian in our work.
- The positions we take will be based on sound, objective and professional analysis and rigorous research.
- We will only accept funding that does not compromise our ability to address issues freely, thoroughly, independently and objectively.
- We will provide accurate and timely reports of our activities to our stakeholders.
Global Health 50/50 is housed within University College London (UCL). As such, all GH5050 staff employed by UCL are governed by UCL policies.
In addition, the following GH5050 are in place: